Beginners 6 Week Course which covers everything you need to learn as a foundation for all future crochet projects. Starting with how to hold the crochet hook and yarn correctly for comfort and to ensure even tension, how to read crochet patterns, how to crochet your first granny square, how to crochet small flower accessories and how to sew your granny squares together.
Our courses run for 6 consecutive weeks are the dates for 2017 are as follows:
- Tues 18th Sept (25th Sept, 2nd Oct, 9th Oct, 16th Oct, 23rd Oct)
- Tues 30th Oct (**6th Nov, 13th Nov, 20th Nov, 27th Nov, 4th Dec)
** this is during Worcestershire School holiday but we have flexibility to move this date back a week and finish 2nd week in December).
- 2019 Dates:
- Tues 8th Jan (15th Jan, 22nd Jan, 29th Jan, 5th Feb, 12th Feb)
- Tues 19th Feb (26th Feb, 5th Mar, 11th Mar, 19th Mar, 26th Mar)
- Tues 2nd Apr (9th Apr, 16th Apr, 23rd Apr, 30th Apr, 7th May)
Time: 8.00pm – 10.00pm (6 x 2hr workshops)
Skill Level: Complete Beginner
Venue: Stitch & Steele Worcester (Warndon Villages) – this my home address so full address is only confirmed upon booking).
This is a progressive skills course of 6 workshops covering all the basic crochet stitches and techniques you need to become a competent crocheter. You will learn how to hold crochet hook and yarn, read and understand patterns, learn to crochet bunting, baskets and granny squares.
As the weeks progress, you will be amazed how your crochet skills develop and at your ability to tackle new projects.
What You Will Learn:
wk 1: Getting Started
– Brief guide to crochet hook sizes & yarn types
– Parts of stitches – what each bit is called (for use later with patterns!)
– Holding the yarn and crochet hook correctly
– Making chains
wk 2: Basic Stitches – the basis for all patterns
We will cover the basic foundational crochet stitches in this workshop which
are combined in various ways in patterns to create endless stitches and patterns.
– stitch construction and parts of a pattern repeat
– single, half double, double and treble crochet
– working in rows
wk 3: Understanding & Following Patterns
– Correcting mistakes during crocheting
– Crochet pattern abbreviations
– Crochet terminology and symbols on patterns
– Measuring tension
– Increasing & decreasing stitches
– Adding yarn
– Starting your first granny square
wk 4: All About Granny Squares
The aim of this week’s course and your week’s “homework” 🙂 is to practice the simple crochet mini patterns given to create several squares of different stitches/patterns to make 4 granny squares (which will be made up into a mini blanket at the end of the course)
wk 5: Finishing Projects & Embellishment
– Learn how to work with new colours
– Make several different granny square designs as samplers
– Making flower embellishments
wk 6: Review of key stitches & processes, finishing projects
– We will review the last 5 weeks learning
– Sewing your squares together and completing your mini blanket sample
– Further resources & next steps with crocheting
What To Bring With You:
At the first workshop you will be given a starter kit of crochet yarn and a jumbo crochet hook to start with. You will need to order some further yarn (of your choice) during the course (max cost £10).
You also get a loan copy of our crochet course book for the duration of the course.
You will get instructions each week of what you will need to bring the following week.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee:
We guarantee you 100% satisfaction with the workshop or course you book and we are happy to let you repeat it free of charge, if you are not 100% satisfied, or didn’t get what you want out of it, or just feel you want to repeat it. This is dependent on spaces being available, but we will do our best to accommodate you.