Love the idea of learning to crochet? Want to make granny square bags/tops/blankets or learn to crochet a beanie hat? Well this is the 1 day workshop for you!
Learn the basic stitches, how to hold your crochet hook & yarn correctly, how to read crochet patterns and get to make your very first granny square in this enjoyable 1 day session. Crochet is addictive so you may get “hooked” (…sorry ;-0)
- Sat 10th Aug
- Sat 21st Sept
- Sat 2nd Oct
Time: 10am – 4pm
Venue: Stitch & Steele, Warndon Villages, Worcester, WR4 0EN (full address on booking)
Skill Level: Total Beginner – an ideal fast-track start to crochet even if you have never done it before, or as a quick refresher
What You Will Learn:
You will learn the basics of crochet including how to hold the crochet hook and yarn correctly and comfortably, managing tension, how to read crochet patterns and then how to crochet a granny square. If we have time, we will also learn how to sew granny squares together.
Granny squares can be used to make shoulder bags, shopping bags, blankets, cushions, shrugs, cardigans, jumpers and much more. Once you learn the basics of the granny square you will be hooked on making loads of “granny” projects! Be warned 🙂
(We also offer a 6 Week Beginners Learn To Crochet Course (Evenings) so if you want to learn more slowly and over a 6 week x 2 hour evening workshop basis, or in more depth, then that might be a better option for you).
- How to hold the crochet hook and yarn comfortably (even if you are left-handed)
- How to cast on and cast off
- Basic stitches (chains, double and treble)
- Different types of yarn to crochet with & different crochet hook sizes
- Increasing & decreasing
- How to read a pattern and refresher of the morning session
- Changing colour/yarn and how to join neatly
- Crocheting a granny square
- Finishing techniques and how to sew granny squares together
- Unlimited tea/coffee/biscuits (lunch not included)
- Tuition and handouts
What To Bring With You:
- a set of crochet hooks (including a 6mm and 4.5mm hook) – you can buy these fairly cheaply on Amazon or Ebay. Alternatively, you can combine hooks with your order with the yarn recommended below to get free shipping with Wool Warehouse which is based in Leamington Spa and who have 2 day free delivery.
- To start with you will need a ball of Stylecraft Special Chunky (acrylic yarn) which will help you learn basic crochet techniques more easily (then we will advance on to the yarn below, which is thinner and more widely used)
- Stylecraft Special DK (acrylic yarn) which is approx £1.99 per 100g ball (82 colours) or the slightly more expensive Stylecraft Life DK (25% wool and 75% acrylic mix) at £2.99 (42 colours) or any other Double Knitting (DK) yarn weight from any other manufacturer – 3 balls of different colours for your granny squares (one neutral colour).
- Please note: Darker yarn colours like navy/black and variegated colours are not recommended for beginners as they are difficult to see your stitches properly.
Helen Wright reviewed Stitch & Steele – 5 star
Yesterday at 12:30
Ultimate Beginners Learn To Crochet Workshop: Fantastic day. I achieved a long-held ambition to get the knack of crochet – in just one short day. Fiona was a lovely tutor, very patient but quite prepared to give constructive feedback as well as help. Thoroughly recommend, even for the crochet complete novice.